The Cane Tips Blog
Just like any other quality tool, your cane needs maintenance and care. We do our utmost to insure that the canes we create leave our shop fit and ready for use. All of the canes produced by Cane Masters are soaked in mineral oil which helps to keep moisture and suppleness in the wood. With use, however, the surface of your cane will get dirty simply from the oils on your hand, or that cheeseburger you had for lunch.
Occasionally you will need to "clean" your cane to keep it looking good. Following is the procedure we suggest you use for our canes that do not have a tung oil finish:
- Wipe your cane down with a soft cloth (good terry-cloth works well, or an old t-shirt) and mineral oil.
- Sand the cane with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Be sure to pay attention to the grips on the shaft.
- Wipe the cane again with your cloth and mineral oil.
- Sand the cane with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
- Wipe the cane once more with your cloth and mineral oil.
- At this point, your cane will be clean and well "fed" with mineral oil. Finish the job by wiping off the excess mineral oil, or you can go one step further by "polishing" the cane with 1000-1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper
and mineral oil. Just remember to complete the procedure by wiping off any excess mineral oil.
The process to clean the surface of a tung oiled cane is somewhat similar:
- Wipe the cane down with a soft cloth and mineral oil
- Lightly sand with 1000-1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
- Wipe off the excess mineral oil and give it a hardy rubdown with your cloth.
Please note: Do not dry sand your cane unless you want to refinish it; always use mineral oil!
In our next installment of Cane Tips, we will discuss finishing or refinishing your cane with tung oil. In the mean time, if you need the supplies to clean your cane, we offer a Cane Care Kit; click here to order.
Applying a High Gloss Tung Oil Finish
The Cane Masters Tung Oil Treatment is different in application than other methods you might be familiar with. Following is a description of the process so you may finish or re-finish* your cane:
1. Wipe down your cane with mineral oil (be sure to ALWAYS apply mineral to your cane first before sanding it!)
2. Sand with 600 grit wet/dry sand paper.
3. Wipe off any residue.
4. Apply a coat of tung oil with a rag and let dry overnight
5. Apply another coat of tung oil and let dry overnight.
6. Wipe down cane with mineral oil.
7. Sand lightly with 600 grit wet/dry sand paper.
8. Wipe off any residue
9. Apply a coat of tung oil and let dry overnight.
10. Repeat steps 6-9 three more times
11. Wipe down cane with mineral oil
12. Sand with 1200 or 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper
13. Wipe off any residue
14. Apply tung oil and let dry overnight.
15. Repeat steps 11-14 once more.
16. Repeat steps 11-13 and enjoy your beautifully finished cane!
*Note: If you are refinishing your existing tung oil treatment, you will first need to strip off the existing finish with a rougher grit sand paper(320).
To keep your finished cane looking great, simply wipe down with mineral oil and give it an occasional sanding with 1200 or 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper (with mineral oil!) to remove any dirt or grime.